Menu Content/Inhalt
Home arrow About Us
About Us PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
About Us
Page 2
 

 A Brief History of the Club

Most Lithuanians migrated to Australia between 1947 - 1950. Of the 3,000 or so Lithuanians who settled in the Sydney area, many settled in Bankstown. From 1950 onwards, in rented premises, the Lithuanian Community in Bankstown started various Lithuanian cultural and community activities. These included weekend school, children's theatre, scouts group, choir practice, church service, etc.

Original_Hall
First Lithuanian Community Hall - 1959

In 1954 they purchased a small block of land at East Terrace Bankstown. They purchased an additional adjoining block in 1958 on which the first Lithuanian Community Hall was built in 1959. The aim was to eventually establish a Lithuanian Club there.

 

Old_Club
Sydney Lithuanian Club 1973-2005

In parallel with these activities other Lithuanians in Sydney were also planning to establish a Lithuanian Club. For this purpose an old hotel was purchased in Alexandria in 1956. This was later sold and other premises were bought at Lidcombe in 1965.

 

Construction
Building Extensions - 1981

In 1970 the two Lithuanian Club organisations decided to amalgamate, sell the Lidcombe property, extend the Bankstown premises and apply for a Club License. On May 7, 1973 the licensed Sydney Lithuanian Club was opened in Bankstown.

 

Bar_Hall
Lounge Bar and Concert Hall

The Club premises were further extended in 1981 producing a bigger and better Club.


The existing Lithuanian Club Ltd in East Terrace was sold and ceased operations in these premises on 27th November 2005.  The newly fitted out boutique Club is now open at its new location on the ground floor at 16-20 Meredith Street Bankstown.

New_Club
DAINAVA - New club opened 2006
 



Last Updated ( Friday, 15 June 2012 )